ABOUT THE ASSOCIATION
Golf Hawke’s Bay and Poverty Bay Women Inc. is a non-profit organisation, and is a member of the Incorporated Societies made up of its constituent members; golf clubs of the original Golf Hawke’s Bay District, and the women’s clubs (existing within the framework of the men’s clubs) in the Poverty Bay District. Clubs within the Association range geographically from Te Puia Springs in northern Poverty Bay, to Pongaroa, Cape Turnagain, and Dannevirke in the southern Hawke’s Bay.
During the early part of 2006, the suggestion of possible amalgamation of the golfing interests of the separately operated organisations running golf for both men and women throughout the Hawke’s Bay region and part of Poverty Bay was proposed.
The women of the Poverty Bay Golf Association have long been closely associated with their Hawke’s Bay counterparts through the auspices of the Hawke’s Bay Poverty Bay Women’s District Golf Association, an unofficial, non-incorporated society.
The two groups (Golf Hawke’s Bay and the Hawke’s Bay – Poverty Bay Women’s District Golf Association), signed documents of amalgamation and on 1st December, 2006, the new body “Golf Hawke’s Bay & Poverty Bay Women Inc.”, was established.
The Board and Management:
The Association has a Board of seven members: A President and Vice President both male and female, plus three members. All positions are voluntary and are elected on a rotational basis.
There are also two Golf Committees, one representing men and the other women. These committees oversee the smooth running of all aspects of the game within the Association’s area of responsibility.
Golf HB & PBW Inc. currently operates without an Executive Officer. Instead the Association is managed by the Board, with the assistance of a number of volunteers. The Board is responsible for the administration, operations, and financial management of the Association, and men’s, women’s, and junior golf.
Annual General Meeting:
The Annual General Meeting of the Association is held in February. The main business is to adopt the Board reports and in particular the Financial Statement, confirm the election of officers, and set levies.
The Association could not operate without the assistance of volunteers. In particular, the following play a major role in the activities of Golf HB & PBW Inc. in their respective areas of expertise: male and female representative selectors, representative team managers, a Junior Development Manager (JDM), the Referees Association, and the Course Rating Committee.
So What Do we Do?
Our role is portrayed in many different ways. The Association firstly acts as an advisory body to its constituent clubs and their many members, and provides a link to New Zealand Golf.
Golf HB & PBW Inc. is responsible for organising and running the following annual events:
- The Greenwood Cup, our premier inter-club stroke play competition for men
- The annual men’s Pennants competition – championship (stroke play) and handicap (match play) divisions.
- The annual men’s Coronation Cup handicap competition
- The Hawke’s Bay 36 Hole Stroke Play Competition
- Women’s Pennants, Crossman Cup, and Ashcott inter-club match play Competitions
- The Lucy May & Bays Bronze annual Women’s team match play competition Hawkes Bay v Poverty Bay
- The annual Inter Zone women’s district team competition between Northern, Central, and Southern zones
- NZ Golf Women’s Home Links Competitions and the National Teams District Final.
- Women’s District Medals and Audrey Kelly Salver Competitions
- The Golf HB Senior Teams Championship – Pike Cup
- The Golf HB Secondary Schools Championships
- The Golf HB Junior Age Group Championships
- The Golf HB Junior Stroke Play Championships (in association with the Hawke’s Bay Eagles Golfing Society)
- Men’s and Women’s annual Champion of Champions events
- The Junior Interclub competition
- An annual fund-raising tournament for the benefit of the Association
The Association’s selectors spend a large amount of time following our senior and junior representative players, so that teams can be selected for the following events:
- The Grant Clements Memorial tournament played annually at Mt. Maunganui played by two-man teams representing most provinces throughout the country
- An annual challenge match against Wellington senior and junior representative teams, now played in conjunction with the Shand Cup.
- The Shand Cup and Salver, and Sybil Green Salver Quadrangular between Wellington, Manawatu-Wanganui, Taranaki, and Hawke’s Bay men and women
- The Judy Pearson annual women’s match play challenge between Manawatu / Wanganui and Hawke’s Bay
- The Toro Men’s and Women’s Inter-Association Tournaments – the premier NZ Golf match –play competitions involving all New Zealand regional representative teams
- The annual NZ Golf Men’s and Women’s Masters Inter-Association team match play tournaments, for players over 40 years of age.
- The Waikato Winter Stroke Play Tournament – 6 players (men)
- The Wellington Stroke Play – 6 players (men)
- The Cambridge Classic – 6 players (men)
In addition, our Junior Selector also selects teams of junior representatives to represent Hawke’s Bay at the following events:
- The Wairarapa Open (24 Junior Academy Players)
- The annual Booth Shield competition
- The annual North Island Junior Boys’ Inter-provincial tournament at Cambridge GC
- The annual North Island Junior Girls’ Inter-provincial tournament at Rotorua GC
- The N.Z. Under 19 and Under 23 individual stroke play events
Junior Golf Development Manager:
The Association contracts a local Golf Professional to undertake the role of Junior Development Manager (JDM). The role is primarily to perform locally the functions of the New Zealand Golf Junior Golf Strategy Council, who are responsible for delivering the Junior Golf Development program into schools and clubs throughout New Zealand. The JDM reports both to the Association’s Board and to the NZ Golf Junior Strategy Council. Funding for the Junior Golf program is the financial responsibility of the local Association, in partnership with the local community.
The Hawke’s Bay Junior Golf Academy:
The JDM is also responsible for organising the activities of the Hawke’s Bay Junior Golf Academy and, in conjunction with the Association Junior and Senior coaches and men’s Vice President, selection of players for the Academy. Each year a number of promising young golfers are afforded an opportunity to undergo extensive additional coaching with a view to becoming junior and later, senior representatives for the Association. As a part of this process, the JDM is also involved in the activities of the H.B. Junior Golfing Society Inter-Club program, played throughout the year within the Association. The Junior Golfing Society in Hawke’s Bay is affiliated to the NZ Council of Junior Golf Societies Inc.
Hawkes Bay Golf Referees’ Association:
This is a separate body established for the purpose of advancing the education of players and volunteers alike who undertake the important task of providing rules officials for most of the Association’s inter-club, national, and international tournaments which are played on their courses from time to time. The HB Golf Referees’ Association conducts an annual study course and examination on the Rules of Golf, for anyone who is interested in pursuing certification as an official referee.
The H.B. Golf Referees’ Association is a separately structured and independent organisation under the auspices of the Incorporated Societies Act, but works closely with Golf HB & PBW.
Course Rating Committee:
It is the Association’s responsibility to select a committee that has the requisite experience and knowledge to accurately rate our courses for handicapping purposes. Currently courses are rated twice every five years or so.
The activities of the Association are funded principally via an annual levy imposed on all registered full playing and summer members of clubs within the Association. Additional funding for specific events or equipment is occasionally sought from gaming trusts and charitable organisations. Funds are also generated from sponsorship from local commercial organisations and the fund-raising efforts of our men’s and women’s committees, and the Hawke’s Bay Junior Golf Academy, throughout the year.
Click link below to view the Association’s Constitution:
Lucy May Results 2018
Pennants Results Div 1 2018 after 4 Rounds Division 1 Women’s Pennants Winners – Hastings Tuis. Than
The finals of The Crossman Cup and Golf Fanatics Trophies were played on Sunday 10th June at Hawkes
Pennants Results Div 2 after Rd 4
2017 Toro Interprovincials was held at Sherwood Park Golf Club in Whangarei in December. Our team wa